Lowell Professor of Humanities Howard M. Jones Dies at 88

Howard M. Jones, Lowell Professor of Humanities Emeritus, dies yesterday after a short illness. he was 88 years old.

Jones was one of the originators of the "Americanism," an attempt to relate the history of economic and social events and to show the wide influence of Europe on American culture.

His book, "Strange New World," the first in a trilogy about American culture from the beginning of the early 20th century, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1964.

Jones was president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences from 1944 to 1951.

"I've never known a man with such gusto and such an amazing range of knowledge," Jerome H. Buckley, Gurney Professor of English Literature, said yesterday.

"Not only was he an expert on all types of literature, but he knew an immense amount about music, painting and even science,,' Buckley said, but added "above all he was a humanist."

Buckley, who earned his degree under Jones, said Jones was an excellent lecturer, although he "had a kind of intimidating presence as a teacher because his knowledge was so great."

Jones, who came to Harvard in 1936 after receiving degrees at the Universities of Wisconsin and chicago, served as dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences from 1934 to 1944.