Australian Professor

A noted expert in the field of Australian politics and political psychology will become visiting professor for Australian studies in the Government Department for the 1980-81 academic year.

Alan F. Davies, who has had a career at the University of Melbourne going back to 1944 when he received his B.A. there, has been associated with several other institutions including the London School of Economics and the Institute of Advanced Studies at the Australian National University.

Sidney Verba '53, professor of Government, last week called Davies "one of the leading political scientists in Australia," adding that Davies had an "international reputation in political psychology."

Education

Robert D. Putnam, professor of Government, said Davies "is one of the leading figures in the study of political behavior internationally."

Davies has authored several books and professional articles. His most recent work is entitled, "Skills, Outlooks and Passions: A Psychoanalytic Contribution to the Study of Politics."

During his stay at Harvard, Davies will be affiliated with both the Government Department and the Center for International Affairs. He will teach Government 127, "The Political Culture of a Small Democracy."