UMass Marches Past Stickwomen, 3-1

Strong Scores Two For UMass

By Bruce Schoenfeld

Her name is Judy Strong, and she plays field hockey for the University of Massachusetts. Yesterday at Soldiers Field, she was the difference between a good UMass team and a good Harvard team, scoring twice to lead the Minutemen to a 3-1 victory.

Deja Vu

With UMass already leading 1-0, Strong stroked her first goal--the eventual gamewinner--past Crimson goaltender Juliett Lamont just over 20 minutes into the game.

Picking up the ball outside the Harvard circle, she dribbled past the Crimson defense to confront Lamont.

"She came down one-on-one," the freshman netminder said after the game. "I guess she had gotten through three people at the top of the circle, and she shot into the far corner."

Jennifer White cut the visitors' margin to 2-1 with her second goal of the season at 32:35, tipping in a Kate Martin shot, but halfway through the second half Strong tallied again to ice the contest.

"Judy is a super player," coach Edie MacAusland said, "but I think we're right there with UMass. It just happened their shots went in and ours didn't. The game was back and forth."

The statistics bear out MacAusland's assessments: each team earned 12 corners, and UMass goalie Patti Shea and Lamont each saved nine shots.

Lamont was a surprise starter in the pads for the Crimson, although MacAusland, who made the decision along with goalie coach Marcia Karwas, said, "It was no surprise to me."

"Basically, we're still testing a little bit," Karwas commented. "We know (senior goalie) Betty (Ippolite)'s capabilities, but we are still learning and we will learn all season."

"Lamont's got the least experience, but the most potential, "MacAusland said, adding that the freshman is the probable starter for Saturday's game at the University of New Hampshire, but "things can change between now and then."

THE NOTEBOOK: Chris Sailer, back from an injury, played a superb game on defense for Harvard, as did freshman Beth Mullen. Despite the lack of scoring, the inconsistant offense played well, especially Maureen Finn, who has become a fine two-way player... White turned aside praise for her goal. "It was just like one of Kate (Martin)'s garbage goals," she said. "I put it in, but it was just sitting there."