Stickwomen Head to Easterns, Looking for Spot in Nationals

By Becky Hartman

A team with a 5-7-2 record probably should not be in the EAIAW championship, then again neither should a team with a 6-6-1 mark nor one that is 8-7-2 on the season. Then again, a championship tournament should consist of more than three teams.

Although their records don't seem to merit it, the Harvard, Dartmouth, and Providence College women's field hockey teams will be fighting it out in Hanover for a berth in the AIAW National championships to be held in Berkeley, Calif.

A Different Story

The 1981 EAIAW playoffs are markedly different from past seasons. Only three teams will be competing as compared to eight in last year's championships. UNH, UMass, UConn, and Springfield, the four top finishers in last year's playoffs, have all decided to attend the NCAA national championships instead of vying for a position in the AIAWS.

The AIAW reduced the number of Eastern tournament qualifiers this year to four but Yale withdrew because as coach Robin Cash said, "Our athletic director didn't think our Ivy record was good enough to merit a spot in the championships. He was trying to set a precedent."

Harvard, which is ranked third out of the three teams, will face Dartmouth today at one o'clock, and the winner of that contest will face top seed Providence College on Sunday.

Harvard faced both Dartmouth and Providence earlier this season and lost to both in two very tight contests. Against the Big Green, Harvard played well but a late rally fell short and the Crimson lost 2-1.

The scoring difficulties which plagued the team all season really hampered the Harvard squad in their game against the Friars. Although the Crimson outshot Providence, 12-10, they lost the game 3-1. Harvard was without the services of captain Sara LeBlond, and her fellow co-captain Maureen Finn went out of the game with an injury.

The key for Harvard will be capitalizing on their scoring opportunities, particularly the short corners. "We want to continue doing what we've been doing all season, but not as much fooling around with the ball. No fancy stuff. Just get the ball down the field and think about getting it in the cage," said Harvard assistant coach Gina Buggy.

Dartmouth, on the other hand, will be concentrating on its defense. "Our defense fell apart near the end of the Harvard game, but lately we've been more consistent," said Dartmouth coach Mary Corrigan. "The key to the game will be consistency."