Sex on Campus

COLLEGE PARK, Md.--The student government at the University of Maryland's Baltimore County campus (UMBC) will be permitted to show an X-rated movie on campus, after campus officials initially prohibited the film from being shown last month.

UMBC officials had banned the movie, "Debbie Does Dallas," last month because they feared that county police would raid the showing, confiscate the film and arrest students present, the student paper The Diamondback reported.

But after campus officials reached a legal agreement with American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) lawyers representing the student government that absolves the university from all legal responsibility for the showing of the film, they allowed the students to show the movie.

The agreement vests all legal responsibility in the student government and "just lets the University off the hook," Terry Nolan, student government president, said, adding that under the agreement, all film advertisements must include a disclaimer stating the "the University does not sponsor" or sanction the showing of the film.