B.C. Breaks B.U.'s Back, 5-2

By Mike Bass

A first-period shorthanded goal by Mark Switaj and a third-period power play goal by Mike Ewanouski boosted the Boston College Eagles to a rag-tag, 5-2 win over Boston University in the second game of the Beanpot last night at the Boston Garden.

Boston College will meet Harvard for the Beanpot championship at 9 p.m. next Monday night.

Too much speed and sharp goaltending from Eagle netminder Bob O'Connor did in the lumbering Terriers, sending B.U. to the consolation game for the second year in a row.

The story in the first period can pretty well be told by the shot totals--the Eagles had 13, while the Terriers went to the locker room with a pattry four shotson goal. O'Connor barely had a chance to wave at the puck.

B.C.'s first goal came when Terrier netminder Jeff Weisman ventured out among the padless to the left circle, trying to shove the puck out of the zone. Freshman Eagle defenseman Jim Chisholm picked up the puck along the left boards and wobbled it into the open net, recording his first varsity goal at 7:48.

Then, with B.U. on power play, B.C.'s second-leading scorer Mike O'Neil, forechecking at center ice, took the puck away and skated in for a slapshot. A Terrier defenseman blocked the shot, but O'Neil grabbed the rebound and crossed the puck to linemate Mark Switaj, who skated in on the B.U. net all alone and stutted it through Weisman's legs, for a 2-0 Fagle lead at 14:40.

B.U. got back into the game in the second period, as Terrier center Todd Johnson sandwiched two power play goals around a tally by B.C.'s Paul Hammer.

Johnson knocked in his first one at 12:40, flipping a backhander over an outstretched O'Connor to cut the B.C. margin to one. Hammer's goal followed less than a minute later, when he circled around behind the net and snuck the puck in between Weisman and the right post at 13:33.