Hockey Team Picks Watson To Be Next Year's Captain

By Marco L. Quazzo

The Harvard hockey squad this week elected Mike Watson, a three-year starting center and scorer of 30 points this season, as next year's team captain.

Described as "serious and conscientious about hockey" by coach Billy Cleary, Watson has been a potent force on the ice for Harvard since his first appearance at Bright Center. The Eliot House junior shared top goal-getting honors with teammate David Burke two years ago, and as a sophomore Watson contributed 22 points.

This year Watson centered for the "Instant Karma" line and finished the season as the team's third leading scorer, following linemates Greg Olson and outgoing captain Tom Murray.

Watson did "an outstanding job" this season, Cleary said, lauding the junior's performance down the stretch.

"We were a young team this year so we had a hard time getting started and developed a winning attitude." Watson said yesterday. However, the captain-elect called himself "pretty optimistic" that next year's squad will produce the first winning record in four seasons. "Most of the better players are returning, and the momentum we developed during the second half of the season should carry over to next year," he noted.

Cleary has confidence that Watson can lead the team. "The players respect Mike as a person--he is one of the hardest workers on this team and people notice that," Cleary said.

Murrary, this year's hockey captain, has mostly fond memories of his role on the team. "Captainship is one of the best things that ever happened to me," he said. "I hope it turns out that way for Mike."