UNH, Friars Win in Women's Puck

By William A. Danoff

For those who thought you saw top quality collegiate women's hockey at the Harvard-hosted Ivy Tournament last weekend, the real players showed up for the opening round of the second annual Eastern Regional Tourney at the University of New Hampshire last night.

Top seed and defending champion UNH steamrolled to its 21st consecutive victory of the season, dumping fourth seed Colby, 6-0, to reach tonight's finals. The Wildcats faceoff against traditional nemesis Providence College (20-4), who blanked Beanpot champ Boston University, 4-0, in the first game, a virtual rematch of last year's championship.

It is safe to say that UNH represents women's hockey par excellence. In four years of varsity competition, the Wildcats have compiled a 70-0-1 ledger, including victories over Canadian powerhouse Concordia (UNH tied Providence, 6-6, two years ago).

This year's unbeaten, untied squad utilized the services of all-time leading scorer Kathy Bryant to coast by the White Mules. The senior winger tallied two goals and assisted another pair to up her career totals to 110 goals and 145 assists for 255 points.