Women Protest Anti-Abortion Bill

Groups Begin Leafletting Campaign

The Women's Clearinghouse and the National Organization for Women began leafletting on campus yesterday to protest the proposed anti-abortion legislation that will soon go before the Senate.

The Human Life Amendment, spon-scored by Sen. Jesse Helms (R.N.C.), protects the right to life "from the moment of fertilization," thereby prohibiting some forms of artificial contraception and nullifying the 1973 Supreme Court decision that permitted abortion in some cases.

The low-estrogen pill, one of the most popular and safest forms of birth control, could be banned if Congress approves the bill. Amy J. Ewing '81, a member of the Women's Clearinghouse, said yesterday.

The leaflets urge students to write their Congressmen to express opposition to the bill. "The campaign has been very successful so far: around 100 students have signed up to write letters." Kathleen Karpilow, a graduate student and Dunster House tutor, said yesterday.

"While we hope that the letters will be effective, the main idea behind this is to inform students about the bill and its implications," Karpilow added.

Besides handing out leaflets, the women's groups set up information tables in all of the Houses to answer student questions.

Because the anti-abortion issue is arousing so much controversy, the Instutute of Politics plans a debate on it, scheduled for April 16. Paul Brown, director of the Life Amendment Political Action Committee, will be one of the participants.