Sox Seek Catcher, Yanks Make Deal As Interleague Deadline Approaches

By Bruce Schoenfeld

With tonight's inter-league trading deadline just hours away, rumors continued to circulate early this morning that the Boston Red Sox would obtain a catcher from one of several National League clubs.

According to one Winter Haven source, the Sox have reaffirmed an offer of outfielder Joe Rudi and pitcher Bruce Hurst for Houston Astros catcher Luis Pujols. Another rumor has Hurst traveling to Pittsburgh for Pirate backstop Steve Nicosia, but a Pittsburgh executive said Nicosia "is probably headed to the Yankees or the Angels, with the Red Sox third on the list."

Division rivals New York and Cleveland each made a personnel move last night. The Yankees sent centerfielder Ruppert Jones and Joe Lefevbre, plus minor league pitchers Tim Lollar and Chris Welsh, to San Diego for outfielder Jerry Mumphrey and pitcher John Pacella, while the Indians acquired pitcher Bob Lacey from San Diego for Juan Bonilla.

Mumphrey, the key man in the Yankee trade, hit .298 for the Padres in 160 games. He also stole 52 bases in 57 attempts. Pacella, who moved from the New York Mets to San Diego in the Randy Jones trade last winter, had a 3-4 record in 1980, with a 5.14 ERA in 84 innings.

Besides Houston and Pittsburgh, the Red Sox are reportedly still talking to Los Angeles about acquiring Dodger catcher Steve Yeager and/or pitcher Dave Stewart. In return, the Dodgers are asking for reliever Tom Burgmeier plus other considerations.

With just over a week remaining before major league rosters must be trimmed to 25 men. Red Sox manager Ralph Houk still has 15 pitchers fighting for nine or ten spots. Houk has virtually guaranteed spots to starters Dennis Eckersley, Frank Tanana, Steve Crawford, Chuck Rainey, John Tudor, and the apparently untradable Mike Torrez (only Pittsburgh has expressed real interest) will probably be included as well.

With Bob Stanley and Mark Clear set in the bullpen, Burgmeier (Boston's most effective reliever last season at 5-4, 2.00), Dick Drago, Luis Aponte, Mike Smithson, Bill Campbell, Skip Lockwood, and Wim Remmerswaal (who is out of options) will, barring a trade, struggle for the final slot or two.

Campbell, who has been sidelined with arm problems, has been throwing "quite well" in Spring training according to pitching coach Lee Stange, who said that Smithson has looked "good, but erratic" and Lockwood has "had his problems."

Houk has repeatedly stressed that he will wait for "the decisions to be made for me by the players"--possibly hinting at a trade--but has remarked in the past that Aponte and Campbell fit into his plans.