Student Constitution Released

Committee Expects Referendum to Pass

By James A. Star

The student committee formed to discuss implementation of the Dowling proposal for restructuring student government last night released a preliminary draft of a constitution for the new student council.

The constitutional committee also decided to send a letter to President Bok, Dean Rosovsky, Dean Fox, and other administration officials stating that the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) "does not have the right to unilaterally change the Dowling Report." Andrew B. Herrmann '82, chairman of the committee and chairman of the Student Assembly, said yesterday.

Herrmann said that he proposed sending the letter because of a "widespread misconception" among faculty and students that CHUL may amend the Dowling plan after students vote on it.

A student referendum on the plan, which will continue through tomorrow, will be important in deciding whether the Faculty adopts the proposal released by Fox early last month. John E. Dowling '57, professor of Biology and chairman of the committee that issued the report, said this week.

Herrmann called student reaction to the plan "primarily positive." "I'd guess from the reports I've heard that 75 per cent are in favor of it," he added.

The Dowling report calls for the restructuring of the present student government and provides $60,000 annually for the new student council to cover administrative costs and distribute to student organizations.

The constitution, which will take effect when ratified by a majority of students in a College-wide referendum, is expected to be completed by the end of reading period. Leonard T. Mendonca '83, a Student Assembly member and a representative to the constitutional committee, said last night.

"We hope to be able to submit the constitution to the entire student body first thing next year," Mendonca added.

Several of the House coordinators administering the student referendum said yesterday student response to the proposal has been "generally favorable." Loreen P. Collins, a member of the constitutional committee, said yesterday that in Kirkland House, "significantly more seem to be voting yes than no" on the proposal.

The preliminary draft of the constitution, debated for several hours last night, calls for

an 85-member student council elected from the 13 Houses and four areas of the Yard:

an administrative committee composed of the officers of the council, the chairmen of five standing committees within the council, and the representatives of six minority groups. Under the preliminary constitution, the administrative committee will primarily be responsible for setting the agenda of the council:

Budget

and a nearly autonomous budget committee responsible for delegating the funds of the councils each semester.

The constitutional committee postponed for a week a decision on how much voting power to give minority groups on the administrative board.

"This is something that's going to have to be sold to students. They won't readily accept the constitution if it looks like we're giving special favors to minority groups," Herrmann said.