Harvard Cheaper Than Jail Term?

A New Mexico judge has an answer for high prison costs that could also help Harvard bolster the percentage of students who accept offers of admissions.

Judge Harvey Fort of Carlsbad, N.M. announced Saturday that he had sentenced a woman convicted of shooting her husband to student life because it was less expensive to send criminals to college than to jail.

"I'd like to send them to Harvard," Fort said of other felons who cross his path, presumably those who already have impressive SAT scores or extensive student council experience.

In setting what may become a major precedent in college admissions. Fort sentenced 27-year-old Debbie Barrette to a probation that includes attendance at Eastern New Mexico University as long as she maintains a "C" average and undergoes psychiatric treatment.

Even internment in an Ivy League school would be "cheaper" than a conventional prison term, Fort noted. He added that Barrett who was found guilty of kidnapping and armed robbery, in addition to wounding her husband, wants to be a journalist.

Early Action applications to Harvard are due on November 1.