The 2 1/2-Foot Shelf

THE BOOK

By Richard J. Appel

BRUCE M. METZGER probably has saved more trees than Smokey the Bear, and Metzger doesn't even live in the woods. Or at least not literally. A New Testament scholar, Metzger was chosen by Reader's Digest to edit its new edition of the Bible. At the beginning of this month, Reader's Digest published its condensed version, which excludes more than a quarter of a million words from the Holy Scriptures Among other things. Metzger cut half the Old Testament The best known passages remain intact--creation still takes a full week--but some repetitious portions were nixed. Metzger also trimmed passages he deemed too lengthy or too confusing.

The folks as Reader's Digest offer several explanations for their revised Bible Chief among them stands their wish to make the Bible more readable and approachable. "This is a Bible meant for reading, not for study," Metzger recently told Newsweek.

Metzger may soon become something of a hero on college campuses. Students often find classic novels dense and difficult to follow. Perhaps Metzeer and his Bible will spark a trend throughout the publishing world. and it Reader's Digest editors judge 10 percent of Christ's words superfluous, they will; no doubt find mortal writers whose works could profit by a but of careful pruning Imagine the memorandum now making the round at Reader's Digest:

Now that the Bible is behind us let's look at our 1983 agenda: Gulliver's Travel: That's right just one Note. The editor should Choose very carefully here, so its not to remove the lovable Lilliputians completely from the scent:

Remembrance of Some Things past: Few argue that Marcel Proust didn't possess a remarkable memory. But even the recent three-volume edition of Provst's work remains unwieldy. You can't carry a boxed set on the subway;

A Grape of Wrath: Editors should force writers to establish themes quickly and economically. In face, limiting Steinbeck in this manner might even further his theme of poverty and hopelessness; Bunches of grapes for the privileged, one grope of the deprived. Of A Mouse and A Man stands on the horizon:

Great Expectation: Give Pip one expectation and then bring off the pertinent references together in a few pithy chapters. Imagine how much time you'd save--surely enough to real both Hard Time and The Pickwick Paper in one sitting.

Down the line for 1984: Let's tackle some long-winded and paper-wasting Russian writers: we'll contain Dostoevsky to A Note from the Underground. Two if absolutely necessary.

Bruce should be an example to us all on hour to shorten long passages One example from Dickens suffices. Great Expectations begins. "My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit that Pip." The Great Expectation version: "My name is Pip Pirrip," Punchy and to the point.

Finally, editors could make all novels more readable--and space saving--by removing confusing and lengthy words. Throughout Great Expectations. Dickens relies upon "countenance" and "visage." Great Expectation, as you might guess, would employ something far simpler. "Face" comes immediately to mind.

Perhaps if this trend runs successfully through the New York publishing houses it will arrive someday in Cambridge. Does anyone really read the entire Course Catalogue? All that paper, just itching to be saved.