Freshman Football Downs UMass, 6-0; White Scampers for TD in Last Minute

With 48 seconds remaining in the freshman football season opener, Brian White scampered 24 yards to lead Harvard to a 6-0 triumph over the University of Massachusetts JV (0-1) yesterday on Soldiers Field.

On the play, White rolled right, faked a pitch and cut back to his left to cap a drive that saw the Crimson travel 50 yards in six plays.

"Our running back had been running well all day and [the Minutemen] were keying on him," White said. "So I just faked the pitch and ran it in."

Despite Joe Pusateki's 104 yards on 27 carries, the Crimson offense failed to put together a drive until late in the fourth quarter. The Harvard passing attack completed just three of seven attempts. The UMass offense could do no better, as the swarming Harvard defense held it in check all day.

The first half proved to be a punters' duel, with each team punting four times in the first 30 minutes. The only scoring threat came when Crimson placekicker Robert Steinberg missed a 43-yard field goal attempt just before halftime.

In the third quarter, the Crimson moved the ball effectively between the 30 yard lines behind the running of Pusateki. However, costly fumbles and a missed field goal spoiled the gridders' chances.

Chuck Sirey returned a Minuteman punt 44 yards to put Harvard at the UMass 28 early in the fourth quarter. But five plays later. Pusateki coughed up the ball and the Minutemen recovered at their own four.

UMass moved the ball 20 yards before the Harvard defense held firm On fourth and six from the Minuteman 35, the Crimson broke through for what looked like a blocked punt The play was nullified by a Harvard offsides penalty.

UMass ran up the middle for a first down, then advanced the ball to their own 49 before the Crimson ground the Minutemen to a halt. On fourth and two, UMass again tried the middle, but the Crimson line held and Harvard gained possession at midfield.

Two minutes and 30 seconds later, White crossed the goal line with the winning score.