Saving Utility Costs

LAWRENCE. Ka--Despite the unseasonably cool temperatures in September at the University of Kansas campus, officials may postpone turning on the heaters past the normal starting date to help cut utility costs.

Administrators usually begin beating the dorms on October 15, but that move may be delayed until early or middle November this year. William Hogan, associate executive vice chancellor, said recently He estimates that the university could save a minimum of $100.000 by not beating for a month

However, Paul Frantz, a meteorologist for the national Weather Service in Topeka, said temperatures from mid-September to November should be below normal Hogan said he had already received a complaint that one building. Halworth Hall, was not warm enough.

Early in September, officials curtailed the air conditioning in many campus buildings to cut the utility bill, and Hogan said the university saved at least $50.000.

The university is scrambling for ways to cut utility costs because of a $187.000 cut in the state-supported school's utility budget. The University Daily Kansan the campus daily, reported last week.