Officials Break Ground For New Kennedy School Wing

By John D. Solomon

With shovels in hand and champagne on ice Kennedy School if Government officials and key financial contribution held the official groundbreaking for the K-School's new $5.7 million wing Saturday.

This country has, problems and I hope the Kennedy school with the addition of this new building will play a significant role in doing a better job of governing." Robert A. Belfer, for whom the annex is named, said at the ceremony.

Cambridge Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci, addressing the crow of 100 K-School staff members and guests said. "I'm glad I'm still alive to see these projects come alive."

He the read a special proclamation in honor of the new building.

Construction, on the new wing, which will be located on the corner of Eliot-St., and Kennedy St., is scheduled to begin this week, and be completed in January 1984.

The Belfer Center will give the K-school space for some of its new programs and facilitute the final the float transffer of the city and Regional, Planning Program from the 'Graduate School of Design (GSD).

Three relatively now research centers--Energy and Environmental Policy. Health and policy Management, and Business and Government Policy and slated to move into the new wing to join a proposal Center of press. Politics, and Public Policy. The fifth K-School research program, the Center for Science and International Affairs will remain in the already, existing building.

The City and Regional Planning will move into emptied space of the present K-school building combines two seperate programs offered by the K-school and GSD. This merger was first proposed by President Bok in February 1980.

The new wing will also include classrooms, a 200-seat auditorium, and smaller versions of the current Institute of Politics Forum.