Crimson Triumphs

Intramural Sweep

By Carla D. Williams

Harvard intramural House squads crushed their Yale opponents yesterday in tackle football, men's soccer and scores of other events in The Harvard-Yale Games played as a prelude to today's contest.

House members' parents and alumni from both sides turned out to scream, cheer, and celebrate at an event which some felt was far more important than the Crimson's last game of the season. As Hugh Foster '50, a Winthrop House "dad," commented. "This is really good football. And a lot of fun, That's my son playing for Winthrop."

Winthrop and Kirkland Houses, who are tied for first in Harvard intramural rankings until Tuesday's championships, faced Yale's number-one and two colleges Winthrop handled Stiles-Morse while Kirkland cruised over Berkeley-Calhoun.

Winthrop staged a come-from-behind win in the last six minutes of play. Trailing 6-0 on a 45-yard pass-play from Stiles-Morse quarterback Jeff Rose to running back Joe Pertell. Winthrop House first scored a safety to up the score to 6-2.

After regaining possession of the ball on a penalty, the men from Winthrop then went to work with a hurry-up, two-minute-warning offense working four minutes early.

Winthrop quarterback Charlie Slack ran eight yards to get a first down at the 15-yard line. On the next play, a Stiles-Morse defensive interference penalty gave the Winthropmen a second down. Then the running backs worked the last yards away Walter Payton-style, as the Stiles-Morse defense broke under Winthrop's offensive pressure.

Kirkland and Calhoun-Berkeley worked a scoreless tie until the second-half play swayed in their direction.

Kirkland's solo TD in the final quarter of play was enough for a 6-0 victory.