Booters Wallop Brown, 3-1

OT Win Sends Crimson to NCAA Quarterfinals

By Becky Hartman, Special is The Crimson

PROVIDENCE. R. I.--"Meet me in St Louis" is now the Harvard women's soccer team's theme song, thanks to a 3-1 overtime disposal of Brown in the find round of the NCAA Championships under the lights last night.

The booters earned the chance to travel to the Gateway City to meet second-ranked Missouri-St Louis next weekend by playing their finest soccer of the year and providing that they can win in the big games.

Harvard's third straight post-season victory over Brown did not come easily, but it was apparent very early that the Crimson did not intend to lose under the lights of the Bruins athletic complex. The level of intensity that has drooped in a number of regular season matches--including last week's 2-1 loss to the same Brown team--was extraordinarily high.

"We were supercharged." Coach Bob Seal said after the game "We played a much faster paced game and we wore Brown out."

Harvard's defense was particularly merciless To-captain Kelly Gately once again smothered Brown forward Frances Fusco while Debbie Field in her return to sweeper and in-captain Jeanne Plersak made key tackles all night long turning away what seemed like certain goals.

"We wanted the ball it was as simple as that and we got it" Piersak said.

However freshman Brigitte Duffy's clinging marking of Brown forward Debbie Ching, who scored both of Brown's goals in last week's contest, made the differences last night Duffy and teammate Joan Elliot who shared the coverage simply would not allow Ching to make a move without one of them on her back.

While the defense was something the Bruins, the Crimson offense was slowly getting unwound After a frustrating first half, in which both teams had a number of close calls but no goals. Harvard finally got on the scoreboard midway through the second stanza.

Satisfaction

With 30 minutes left in regulation Duffs converted a Gately corner kick, ramming the ball through a goal mouth mob.

Brown ended any hopes that the Crimson had of winning in regulation when Bruin back Linda Kent booted the ball from the corner into a crowd in front of the Crimson net O'Day snatched up the cross and smacked the ball off the left post The ball dribbled over the goal line to knot the score at 1-1.

In the two 15 minutes overtime periods. Harvard's play improved while Brown was obviously suffering from the fatigue of two hours of soccer With only 45 seconds gone in the first overtime period Harvard notched the game winning tally.

Game Winner

Forward Gately dribbled the ball from midfield after the opening kickoff and took a shot that careened off the right post. Sophomore Inga Larson slammed the rebound past Brain goalkeeper Alex Smith to pat the Crimson ahead to say.