Clinical Law Curriculum Under Study

By Merin G. Wexler

Law School Dean James Voremberg 48 took the first steps yesterday towards implementing last spring's nationally published Michelin report, which called for the first major overhaul of the Law School curriculum since1960

Vorenberg has appointed a seven-men committee to follow up suggestion of the Michelman Report which last year called for an increased use of clinical education in legal training.

The MIchelman Report was a part of a nationwide trend among law schools away from doctrinal studies and towards practical training.

Vorenberg cited the committee appointments as important step in evaluating the Law School's program as a whole.

Clinical

Picking up where the Michelman Report left off the committee will consider increasing the number of courses with required clinical experience seek new instructors to teach these courses and possibly give more money to campus organizations which provide clinical experience such as the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau and the Prison Legal Assistance Project. Vorenberg said yesterday.

One of the Committee's first tasks will be the future of the Harvard affiliate Legal services Center in Jamaica Plain .The center handles over 600 cases and employs more than 40 law school student volunteers each term through a course sequence entitled Introduction to Advocacy; Civil and Criminal.

BIg Gift

After Legal services funding cutbacks last years. Harvard gave $200000 to keep the project open adding to a$100,000 gift from the Greater Boston Legal services Group. Lance M.Liebman associate Law school Dean and Chairman of the committee, said yesterday.

Only Five Law School courses now required clinical work. such as keeping journals or spending time in a district autonomy's office. Assistant Law School Dean and Director of the Clinical Programs Frederick E. Snyder said yesterday. P>In addition the Committee will review last year's proposal for a Legal Practices Center, which would permit law students to work directly with attorneys on major public interest litigation in the same way medical students practice in teaching hospitals