Thinclads Thrash B.C., 84-52; Quintero Qualifies for IC4As

By Becky Hartman

Before the season started there was a special feeling about this year's team. With a new coach, a new organization and an Influx of talented freshmen the future looked bright.

Well last night, the Harvard men's indoor track team proved that there was cause for optimism and excitement. The squad opened its season with a convincing 84-52 thrashing of B. C, at the ITI. From the opening field events through the last relay, the Crimson thinclads turned in one surprising performance after another.

In the most's very first event, the 35-lb, weight throw, Al Quintero set the tone for the evening with a superb toss of 57 ft., 4 in., his personal best by over four feet and almost a foot over the IC4A qualifying distance.

"This year I've actually trained less," Quintero said. "I used to throw too much in practice and to burn out before meets. This season I saved my good throws for the meets. Of course, there's still room for improvement. If someone were pushing me I may have really popped one out of there

Quintero's was not the only outstanding field event performance. Senior Jimmy Johnson, one of last year's jumping superstars, continued where he left off last year winning the long jump handily with a leap of 24 ft., 5 in, only a few inches off his personal best.

Sharp

"It was the first two events that set the tone for the rest of the meet." Coach Frank Haggerty said after his first win as the team's head coach.

In the evening's first running event, the 1500, Eric Schuler continued the tradition of gutsy efforts, edging out Eagle Steve Walter, who had been breathing down his back the whole race, by less than half a second.

From the bang of the starter's gun Schuler was out in front, setting the pace. Teammates Andy Regan and Cliff Sheehan were right behind him, along with Walter. The four of them ran most of the race in a pack, but when the gun sounded, Schuler and Walter pulled ahead and fought it out until the last few yards when a final burst from Schuler clinched the race.

Rocky

The evening's other dramatic race was the 1000 Crimson sophomore John Perkins gave Eagle Bob Colby all he could handle. Perkins pulled all the way from fourth place to second in the last lap. He wasn't quite able to catch Colby, but he did manage to close the gap to less than a tenth of a second. Though his comeback effort fell short, it was quite a feat for the rusty Perkins. He spent last winter in states playing J.V. hockey, so this was his first indoor competition in over two years.

Junior Brad Bunny had much less trouble winning the 800. Throughout the one minute and 54 second race there was never any doubt that.

Harvard was also successful in the shorter distances. The Crimson train of senior Dwayne Jones, freshman Chris Albridge, and sophomore Jim Herberich swept the 600. However, the thinclads did not do so well in the 500. Captain Scott Murrer and sophomore Steve Ezegi-Okoye got off to a slow start and despite a strong push at the end, neither of them could catch B.C. Captains Fred Kirk.

Other Crimson winners were freshman Doug Boyd in the high jump, his classmate Rudulf Buntie in the pole value, Vincent Ho in the 55-meter dach, Captain Gus Udo in the triple jump, Ezegi-Okoye in the high hurdles and Tom Schuler in the shot put.

THE NOTEBOOK. Last night was a reunion of sorts with format Coach Bill McCurdy, last year's Captain Dave Randall and last year's Manager Sue Berton, all on hand to watch the meet. The team will see action again this Saturday at 4 p.m. when Brown invades Cambridge.