Crimson Thinclads to Meet Dartmouth; Newfound Health May Clinch Victory

By Becky Hartman

Sometime between your mid-morning and late afternoon drinking sessions at Hanover, you should head over to the Leverone field house and check out the Harvard-Dartmouth indoor track meet.

The Crimson thinclads are coming off a very respectable third place finish in the Greater Boston Championships and today's is their last dual meet before the Big Three meet at Yale next weekend and the Heptagonals a week later.

Equally important this meet will give the squad a chance to put its newfound health to the test. With the return of Gus Udo and Mark Henry, the jumping team is now complete and nearly unbeatable. Henry's return to 60 yd. dash competition is another boost to the Crimson, as his second place finish in the GBCs, last week proved

"I know I can jump even better," Henry said after the GBCs. "I just began practicing three days before the meet"

Although the Harvard squad is weaker than it was a year ago when it swept both the 400 and 500 and won the meet. 75-61, the Crimson should still thrive in both events. Bennet Midlo, Steve Ezeji-Okoye, and Scott Murrer all seem to have recovered from the injuries that hampered them in the GBCs, and all three will run today.

Absorb the Message

The key, however, to a Crimson victory will be Harvard's performance in the longer distances. Freshman Andy Gerken has been getting better with each passing meet and turned his best mile time of the season last weekend. Fellow yardling Cliff Sheehan has established himself as a force to be reckowed with in the 1000, pulling off one come-from-behind victory after another in what Coach Bill McCurdy calls "rambunctious freshman style."

Should the meet come down to the relays, the team's health will be crucial. It's been more than three meets since the Crimson has been able to run its number-one mile relay team, but (knock on words) Dwayne Jones. Bennet Midlo, Scott Merrer, and Steve Ezeji-Okoye should all be able to carry the baton today.