Ex-Corporation Member Dies, Led Harvard Effort in WWII

William H. Claflin `15, former Harvard treasurer, died Thursday night at the age of 88, Serving for ten years from 1938 to 1948. Claflin played a large role in the University's war effort during World War II, acting as contracting officer with various government agencies.

Claflin actually directed most University operations when then President James B. Conant '14 left Cambridge to serve as Director of the National Defense Research Committee and advisor on the Pentagon's atomic bomb research project.

When the Navy took over the Freshman Union and Eliot House as training comters during the war. Claflin coordinated officers' programs on campus. He remained a prominent figure throughout the American war effort and met personally with Winston Churchill when the letter came to Cambridge, Clafin's wife, Helen, said yesterday.

When Claflin left Harvard to return to private business in 1948. Conant said, "You made a contribution to the welfare of Harvard that certainly exceeds that of any other member of the Corporation as far as I am aware of Harvard history."

Claflin, a Belmont resident at the time of his death was the last treasurer to have been both the University's chief financial officer and chief investment officer.

Friends yesterday described Claflin as "a great guy" and "simple, straight forward." Current treasurer George Putnam `49 recalled him as a "marvelous old gent."

Born in 1893 in Swampscott, Mass.. Claflin was captain of the varsity hockey team as a Harvard senior. The next year, 1916 he served in the Mexican Border campaign and then fought in France during World War I.

After leaving his job as Harvard treasurer he became president of the Soledad Sugar Co.. which operated a manufacturing plant and owned 30,000 acres of land in Cuba.

He also headed several other major films, and served as an officer of numerous charitable foundations.

In his Harvard Class of 1915 50th anniversary report, Claflin wrote. "I soon found that doing business in Cuba was different than the investment business. Instead of panics and depression, we had to meet the problem of revolutions and bandits."

Fidel Castro confiscated Soledad in 1960 and Claflin spent the next years involved in various activities, including his large collection of American Indian artifacts.

Claflin remained involved with Harvard activities throughout his life. Last year, he attended football games in the fall and Commencement in the spring.

In addition to his wife. Claflin is survived by three daughters, 16 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held today at 11 a.m. at the Story Chapel. Mt. Auburn Cemetery.