Proposition 2 1/2

MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Ever since the passage of Proposition 2 1/2 the people of Cambridge have been exposed to an almost unceasing cry of extreme hardship by many self interest groups who are feeding off of an unjustified property tax gone out of control. (The property tax in Cambridge has almost tripled since 1964, and essential services have decreased.) People who will profit most, most of whom have an interest in a big budget, haven't told all of the story. Here are the missing sections.

1. Every property owner should subtract about 15 percent of what they paid in property tax in the last fiscal year. This is what they can expect to pay if the override of Proposition 2 1/2 is defeated, and Proposition 2 1/2 remains intact. (That is a NO vote to both questions). For example, if you paid $1500 in the last fiscal year, deduct $225 and your bill will be about $1275.

2. There is a very strong effort on Beacon Hill to increase state aid to cities and towns who must decrease their expenditures because of 2 1/2. It is expected that the Commonwealth will reimburse up to 50 percent of the the decrease suffered by the cities and towns. There is a very good chance that this effort will be successful in light of the fact that there was a surplus in the state budget in the current fiscal year ending June 30th. Cambridge could get back up to five million dollars on the expected cut back of 10 million dollars. I've just heard on the radio that Governor King is asking for even more dollars to be turned back to cities and towns than he originally asked for in his 1983 budget.

3. Cambridge will not get back any of this money if the override of Proposition 2 1/2 is successful.

A wise Chinese philosopher once said. "Don't feed a small dragon." We have fed our tax dragon much too well, and much too long. I strongly urge the clear thinking people of Cambridge who are not pursuing selfish interests, and who are concerned with the long-term economic health of Cambridge, to vote NO on both issues dealing with Proposition 2 1/2 override on Election Day, April 13th. John B. Vidak