ACSR May Hold Open Meeting

By Michael J. Abramowitz

In a busy session last night, the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR) deferred setting a date for another open meeting and voted on IT shareholder resolutions, which covered topics ranging from infant-formula marketing to the MX missile

The committee decided unanimously to hold an open meeting before next spring, but it could not decide whether to hold it this spring or next fall. Candace R. Corvey, secretary to the committee, said last night.

But Patrick A. Flaherty, the graduate school representative to the ACSR, said that at one point in the session, the committee voted to hold an open meeting on April 22 but reversed this decision later because three of 12 committee members were absent.

Flaherty expressed disappointment in the committee's decision, saying. "I feel that we owe the Harvard community an open meeting." He added that he hopes the ACSR will set one at its meeting next Thursday.

A spring open meeting would be an important opportunity for members of the Harvard community to air their views on the University's investments in companies developing and manufacturing nuclear arms. Flaherty said.

On Monday the Corporation rejected an ACSR recommendation to support a resolution calling for the American Telephone and Telegraph Company to establish a committee to oversee its research and development of nuclear weapon.

Robert B. Sorsher '83, head of the Harvard reason for relocating the Medical Area personnel office was not to overturn the 1977 ruling.

If the University simply wanted to challenge the ruling, it would have done so long ago. Daniel Steiner '53, the University's general counsel, said yesterday.

The University relocated the Medical Area office "to give the best possible and most cost effective personnel service throughout the University," a February memo from Cantor states.

But the memo which announced the decision to restructure the offices, also states that the move will "result in the removal of a key factor" from the 1977 NLRB decision.

Thumbs Down

Medical Area workers voted in April not to make District 65 then bargaining agent by a tally of 390 to 328. The NLRB agreed in February to review that vote to see it the University unfairly influenced the election

If the NLRB orders a new the election. Harvard will ask the board to reconsider the bargaining unit's status Steiner said

Eugene Fisner, the District 65 lawyer handling the Harvard campaign, said last week he knew of no precedent for a rescheduled election taking place in a different unit from the original election