Fund Established at K-School To Honor Slain CIA Officer

A group of friends of an assassinated Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) official and Harvard alumnus have established a fund in his memory at the Kennedy School of Government.

The $50,000 fund, in memory of Richard S. Welch '51, will probably go towards purchasing case studies on military intelligence problems. Bayley F. Mason '51, the K-School's associate dean for resources, said yesterday.

Administrators of the fund and a CIA spokesman said yesterday the fund has no ties with the CIA's activity.

But fund official John A. Bross '36, a consultant to CIA Director William Casey, said yesterday, "It would be wonderful if some student became interested and joined the intelligence services became of this."

Fundraisers are halfway towards their goal, which they expect to reach in June, Mason said.

The case studies will be used in various K-School programs, including the Executive Program for National Security Managers, which brings 80 U.S. intelligence and military officers to the school each year, in addition. CIA officials visit the school each year to recruit students.

The Frank Boas Foundation endowed a fellowship in Welch's name last year at the Cen- ter for International Affairs. Boss, a European lawyer, is a former classmate of Welch's.

The fellowship will go to a member of the academic or public sector to study intelligence or foreign policy matters. The first Welch Memorial Fellow will be announced in the next two weeks, CPIA Director Samuel P. Huntington said yesterday.

Christopher May '51, a retired CIA agent, initiated fundraising for a Welch memorial last year.

Several of Welch's classmates, colleagues and friends have contributed to the campaign, including former CIA Directors William E. Colby and Richard Helms, Huntington, and Anthony G. Oettinger '51, McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics.

Welch's name has been in the news recently because of congressional debate over legislation that would give the federal government the power to prosecute United States citizens who publish the names of American espionage agents. It is widely believed that Welch was assassinated because his name was published in the magazine Counterspy