Keeping Track

All's been quiet on the South Africa front lately, but last week brought the disclosure that the Advisory committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR) has advised the Corporation to divest from a company that has violated widely accepted standards of behavior for firms doing business in the apartheid state.

The 5-4 secret vote--taken at the last ACSR meeting--to urge the Corporation to sell Harvard's approximately $6 million worth of Carnation stock marks the first time in its 10-year history that the advisory committee has recommended stock divestiture of any kind.

* * *

Tragedy struck in Harvard Square last week when a small crane overturned, striking a construction worker on the head.

John H. Kelly, 59, general superintendent for the Perini Corporation's MBTA Red Line Extension project, was pronounced dead on arrival at Cambridge City Hospital.

The cause of the accident has not been determined.

* * *

Student politicos, get your resumes ready! The Undergraduate Council is all ready to go.

The Faculty--meeting for the first time since November--almost unanimously gave the final approval last week to the first University-funded student government in Harvard's history.

* * *

Once upon a time--not too long ago--the Jordan Cooperatives were a popular living arrangement for Harvard undergraduates. And once upon a time--an even shorter time ago--the University had a hard time filling rooms in Quad houses.

But this year saw a reversal in both those trends. Only two students opted to live in the Currier-affiliated Jordan W (which normally holds about 25 students), and North House is so crowded that some sophomores have not yet been assigned permanent rooms.

So last week the University decided to make the best of two bad situations. The College will house about 25 students on board in the Coop, while allowing them to eat meals in one of the Quad houses.

* * *

The Dartmouth Review, Dartmouth College's conservative undergraduate weekly, drew strong criticism from both the faculty and undergraduate council last week for publishing allegedly racist and sexist articles.

The Dartmouth faculty council voted to condemn the paper after undergraduate leaders complained about the paper to the college dean. The students singled out an article on affirmative action entitled "Dis Sho' Ain't no Jive Bro," which was written entirely in "jive."

* * *

Senior fullback Jim Callinan last week turned down a free-agent contract offer from the New York Giants, citing a previous commitment to a firm in New York whose name he would not disclose.

"If the Giants had contacted me three or four weeks earlier I might have made a different decision," the 6-ft, 2-in, 205-lb Kirk land House resident commented