Summer in the Ukraine

CONFUSION

By Paul M. Barrett

THE LATEST work from Harvard University reiterates many of the author's favorite themes in an abridged volume far more sprightly than the 800 page behemoth available in late August. Here we find that same world of scholarly contemplation, term bills and drop add schedules portrayed in firm bureaucratic prose and candid snap shots of Widener Library. Absent are the upper-level conference course descriptions, the Department of Biophysics faculty listing and the information on January examinations. The result is a version of the classic Register better suited to the summer months, if not quite appropriate for the beach.

Marshall R. Pihl, director of the summer session, introduces the book without undue modesty. "We have established a longstanding reputation for the range and excellence of our programs," says he Indeed, though many have dated call it "Camp Harvard," the summer school crusaders generally take themselves quite seriously. "A truly cosmopolitan center of learning during the summer months in Cambridge" assets Pihl. This bold, declarative style sometimes verging on the pompous characterize the entire work.

In a tasemating trasitional passage entitled "Calendar," the author traces a series of events spanning from "Registration" to "Grade Reports Issued." The essence of time itself, slipping, fleeing away--the days, weeks, even months--emerges with a subtle power. Accompanying the two page section is an illustration six students sitting beneath a tree in front of Robinson Hall one wearing striped basketball socks. They contemplate their calendars. The summer leaves hang attached to various branches.

The vast sweep of this "cosmopolitan center" quickly becomes apparent Libraries, museums, dining halls, parking lot--they are all here. There are special programs in dance, in preparation for being pre-med (women only), and of course, Ukranian Studies. The powerful symbol of the Ukraine appears repeatedly throughout the Register. "Beginning Ukraine." "Intermediate Ukraine." "Advanced Ukraine." "Religion and politics in Ukraine Since 1917." Relentlessly, the vision of the Ukraine slams into the reader's pysche, jarring loose the inevitable question. "Why does Harvard offer so many courses on the Ukraine in its summer session?" Clearly, there is no simple answer.

A parallel, yet ironically unrelated theme chews its way, month Like, into the already heavily woven fabrie of the work. Foreign students, There are many of them. They are "your fellows students who will help to make your summer of study a special learning experience." (Pihl) Many of them are serious whether about learning Physics or learning the English language and most are friendly. Many others speak only Spanish and kick soccer balls against your dorm room window at 5 a.m. Hurtling, spinning, crashing Chemistry textbooks and stereo components do not deter them. It is an irony unresolved.

Contradiction, Confusion, Weltanshauung. You are already signed up for courses, why re-read the Register? Why? Darkness.

You want to transfer to other courses, that is why. Everyone does, except for the science people. You do not like the books. You do not like the instructor. You do not like anybody, and you are filled with existential angst. You never signed up for "Religion and Politics in Ukraine Since 1917" in the first place; why are you there? Does man have free will? What is the cute girl across the hall taking? Law and Pyschology"--why does it draw you closer, entice you? It is irresistable.

Chem 20 leaves no doubts. "Structural theory, chemical transformations of aliphatic and aromatic compounds, elementary mechanistic theory...reactive intermediates (carbonium ions, carbanions, free radicals, carbenes) carbohydrates, amino acids and peptides. Heterocyclic compound. "For this you pay an extra $85. No non-credit or auditing students are allowed to witness the carnage. APSCS-120. "Structure and Interpretation of Programming." costs only $50, but make no mistake, this is AM 110 in disguise.

The gloom lifts later along the path through the course descriptions. Professor Greg Nagy's "Heroes for Zeros" (CLAS S-102, "The Concept of the Hero in Hellenic Civilization") strides forward, a manly and dependable gut in any season. FNAR S-13e, "Introduction to the History of Art." PSYCH S-15" Introduction to Physchology and Social Relations"--this is the stuff of the whispered "Camp Harvard," GOVT S-30. "Introduction to American Government," is a course of many high school students.

Says Pihl at the outset. "Our summer faculty members are comprised mostly of teachers with a Harvard affiliation, but we also have recruited distinguished visiting faculty members." They are distinguished in that they are the ones who seem to teach all of the courses, while "Harvard affiliated" apparently includes grad students and people who received degrees here. Illusion and reality; tenured Harvard superstar becomes BU assistant prof A.M. 110 is APSC s-120. Does art imitate life or transform it? Whither Veritas?

And in the end, a whirlwind of information at once distant from the main theme of schooling and integrally wound up in this thing called Harvard Checks and money orders to Account No. 22270045 at New England Merchant Bank swirl in the maelstrom. Beware, you soccer players. "All payment must be made in U.S. dollars Foreign currency will not be accepted." Welcomed here MasterCard, Visa, traveler's checks and cash. The author seems to imply that tipping is not required, yet the idea is a vague one, drifting slowly into an early-morning must over the River Charles.