Spikers Pummel Wheaton; Schreiber, Meagher Shine

NORTON, MA--Aggressive volleyball has come to town.

The Harvard women's volleyball team began its second varsity season in style last night as it rebounded from a two-game deficit to claw the Wheaton Lions 3 to 2.

The Crimson's poor serving and erratic spiking created a seemingly insurmountable obstacle during the match's initial moments, and Wheaton capitalized on Harvard's mistakes with 15-12, 15-11 victories.

But Harvard coach Karyn Altman regrouped the spikers and a poised group strutted onto the court. Harvard subsequently overwhelmed Wheaton during the match's remaining three games, 15-11, 15-2, 15-9.

In contrast to Wheaton's confused and hectic performance, the Crimson appeared organized and consistent. Accurate and smooth passing enabled Harvard to set up for the kill by relinquishing the ball to freshman Anna Collins, junior Ellen Schreiber or sophomore Cecilia Meagher who would pound the ball to a befuddled pack of Lions.

After the inspiring victory, Altman stressed Harvard's teamwork. "The big hits came out of the team work in the last three games," she noted.

Altman added that as the match progressed, Harvard's women "started to gain confidence in themselves. It's important for the players to see that they can lose the first two games and still win. Most intelligent teams tend to be able to do that."

The spikers will try to remain undefeated when it takes on Boston College tomorrow.