NCAA Passes New Rules For Academic Eligibility

By Farah J. Griffin

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) approved a set of sweeping changes yesterday afternoon, armed at tasting academic standards for college athletes.

Presidents and representatives of more than 100 colleges voted to pass reforms in the association's rules proposed by a committee headed by President Bok.

As a result of last night's vote, students will have to complete a high school curriculum including at least three years of English and math and two years of social and natural sciences in order to participate in NCAA Division I athletics. Athletes must also achieve a combined SAT score of at least 700 and an overall 20 high school grade point average.

Under the guidelines, which will take effect in 1986, college athletics will be required to pass courses geared toward a specific academic degree.

In the past, the NCAA has had no college preparatory requirement, and athletes have often compiled college credits without making any progress toward a degree.

NCAA Division I includes 277 American colleges and universities, including Harvard and nearly every school with a major sports program.

John P Reardon '60, Harvard's athletic director applauded the rule change "This is a major effort to have people going to college do academic work and move toward an academic degree." Reardon said "A lot of kids don't have a chance to do this and are being used by colleges," he added.

Discriminatory?

Reardon noting Bok's connection with the committee that proposed the reforms, said he thought Bok would be pleased with the out come of the vote Bok, who is on vacation, could not be reached for comment.

Bok Aaron public affairs director of the American Council on Education, said the major opposition to the proposals came from representatives of predominately Black colleges who felt that standardized tests often discriminated against minority groups.

Aaron defended the standardized test requirement and said it was the only national standard of measuring academic ability. He added that last night's vote would help to assure "that in the use of the term student-athlete student will come first"

There were no representatives of Black colleges on the committee that proposed the rule changes.

NCAA officials emphasized that the rule changes will not affect general admission requirements for member schools.

Harry Marmion academic vice president of Early Dickenson College, said the meeting also showed a trend toward more academic control of the NCAA.

Marmion noted that over 100 college presidents attended the meeting. The college presidents. Marmion said are "moving into the politics and practices of the NCAA and not leaving it up to the sports directors."

Bruce Howard, managing editor of NCAA News, said the association hoped to put as much emphasis on academics as well as athletics.