Rostow Resigns as Head Of Disarmament Agency

WASHINGTON--Eugene V. Roslow, director of the embattled U. S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, resigned yesterday under fire from President Reagun and a small group of conservative Republican senators.

Richard Stan, a key assistant who heated talks over reduction of ground forces in Europe, also stepped down. That left the agency responsible for negotiating arms reduction with the Soviet Union with three major turnovers in key spots in recent days.

Reagan said he would nominate Kenneth Adelman, deputy to U. N. ambassador Jeane Kirkpalrick, to take Rostow's place He also named David Emery a former Maine congressman to the No 2 post in the agency succeeding Robert Grey. Grey was forced out earlier.

The President said, "As President.... I have no longer priority or higher purpose than to reduce the risk and means of conflict. "The new arms control team he said has great distinction and dedication." adding that Secretary of State George Shult "shares my high confidence" in it.

Reagan accepted "with regret" both Ruslow's resignation and that of Starr. The President named Morton I. Abramowitz, a former ambassador to Thailand to take Star's place.

Rostow, 69, a veteran of Washington power struggles issued a sharply worded statements that implied Reagan had forced his quster in it. Rostow said an recent days it has become clear that the President wished to make changes.

His letter to Reagan contained a similar application saying he was leaving for reasons "which Sceretary Shultz has so kindly discussed with me." Those reasons were not however spelled out.

According to Walter D. Littell spokesman for the Yale Law School in New Haven Conn., Rostow will return next year to the teaching post he left to head the arms control agency.

Sen. Larry, Pressler (R-S.D.) said it's a great setback for the U.S. position in arms control because it looks as though we are in a state chaos and confusion."

Pressler, who heads the Senate arms control subcommittee, said the negotiations require several months of preparation He called Rostow "a very high quality public servant."

Reagan said Rostow had served his and earlier Administration "with distinction and has played a key role in launching our comprehensive arms reduction proposals."

But a companion statement issued by Reagan's deputy press secretary. Larry Speakes, acknowledged that "It was the consensus of the President and his foreign policy advisers that it would be helpful to make some changes in the management of his arms control negotiating team."

Speakes rejected that characterization that Rostow was find but said he did not quarrel with Rostow's description of events. As for Starr It was apparent to him we would like him to resign Speakes said.

The resignation third by a top Administration official in two weeks came amid mounting confusion about Reagan's objectives in ongoing arms control negotiations with the Soviet Union and sometimes conflicting stands by Rostow and principal officials.

"It has been a privilege to serve as director of ACDA for the last 20 months." Rostow said in his brief statement. In recent days it has become clear that the President wished to make changes. In response to his request. I have tendered my resignation."