Of Dukes And Kings

MASS. POLITICS

RAIN MIXED WITH SNOW outside the Statehouse last Thursday, but inside that historic building, at precisely 12:12 p.m., sunshine broke through after four years of gloom. Michael S. Dukakis, taking the oath of office, was beginning his term as governor of the Commonwealth. Only minutes before, Edward J. King had walked out the front door and down the steps, leaving behind the havoc of his reign.

To contrast the respect each man has for the citizens' right to competent and efficient state government, one need turn only to the three-and-a-half days leading up to the inauguration. King, in a diarrheic fit of patronage, made no more than a cursory glance at his campaign fundraising list while filling more than 300 posts.

As the departing governor met with his successor for the traditional exchange of the Statehouse key, his aides were frantically shredding documents pertaining to the whirlwind appointments. When King left the Corner Office for the last time, the ink on several appointments proclamations was still drying, and the fireplace--fueled with papers that King obviously wanted concealed--was still glowing. Dukakis, on the other hand, spent that week reviewing his 30-member screening committee's final recommendations--the conclusion of a thorough two-month screening process--to fill out his cabinet and the rest of his administration.

In his inaugural address, the new governor berated King's style of governing, which paid only lip service to public interest and succumbed to private greed. He stressed that "nothing can destroy our people's faith in their government faster or more effectively than a sense--whether real or imagined--that corruption and contract-rigging and influence-peddling are synonymous with government in Massachusetts." And he listed several specific actions he would take immediately to "restore integrity to our government."

Such strong words and responsible action are a refreshing contrast not only with the past four years on Beacon Hill, but also with the tainted machine politics now giving so much publicity to Boston Mayor Kevin H. White. And Dukakis' record for integrity during his last term should convince taxpayers that he will follow through on these early encouraging signs.

But a glance back at the last Dukakis term should also cultivate caution along with optimism. His administration was impressive in its efficiency--a trait that is certain to be enhanced this time by the governor's three years teaching and preparing for a new race at the Kennedy School of Government. But policy development often goes beyond mere number-crunching "decision-making," and last time around, Dukakis made some wrong decisions. Cuts in human services spending were among the most grievous. This time around, he should seek to be more creative in dealing with budget deficits, and should not be so quick to cut social programs when the fiscal going gets tough.

The new chief executive also used last week's inaugural to declare his concern for the poor, and, specifically, to pledge emergency assistance for the homeless. It was a good first step--and in his second incarnation as Bay State governor, we hope Dukakis will not lose sight of these noble ideals.