Hasbrouck Sentencing

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I was disappointed that The Crimson failed to report the sentencing of Ed Hasbrouck in Boston on 14 January for having refused to register for the draft. He was given a six-month suspended sentence and is required to give 1000 hours of community service; he is appealing. The sentencing was a culmination of long months of continued political activity by Ed Hasbrouck and his supporters, during which time the message of non-violence was carried to thousands of people. Those who oppose registration for the draft, and especially we who have not complied with this law, were put on trial along with Ed Hasbrouck. Although the stated aim of the prosecution was to frighten others into registering, it was clear from Ed Hasbrouck's statements and from the spirit of the protestors at the courthouse on Friday that no such goal was accomplished. As an open non-registrant myself, I am only more determined to resist escalating militarism and to embrace the way of peace. Kenneth Hale-Wehmann '83   Mass. Open Resistance