RUS Elections

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The outcome of the upcoming Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) elections will shape the course of the organization and its effect on undergraduate women for the coming year. Consequently, it is necessary for undergraduate women to familiarize themselves with the candidates and the issues each one is concerned with. It is for that purpose that we offer our position papers as candidates for president of RUS. Julia Rubin '84   Liz Young '85

Position Paper-Julia Rubin '84

This fall, the issue of why women should contribute $5 each year to the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) came under discussion by Radcliffe undergraduates. Many women wanted to know more a about RUS and the actual relevance it has for undergraduate women. RUS has the potential to be many different things. It can be a special interest group with a small core of participating members and the goal of working on only two or three issues a year, or it could be a school-wide organization which extends into all aspects of undergraduate life and tries to improve the day to day existence as well as providing for any special needs of Radcliffe undergraduates. I believe that it should be the latter, but in order to do that, it has to expand its representative membership and to likewise expand its vision.

Not every Radcliffe undergraduate shares the same political views but each of us does share a common wish to make her time at Harvard-Radcliffe a very productive one. That means not only academics but also future plans and goals. The help undergraduate women accomplish these goals, RUS needs a more active constituency. This could best be achieved by working towards one representative to 50 undergraduate women ratio in all the houses as well as in the yard.

RUS must also express an interest in the less political aspects of undergraduate life. The all female band which was formed this winter is an example of that. Likewise, the business series which runs through February is intended to help undergraduates plan of the future and overcome any gender-based obstacles.

All this doesn't mean that Rush should abandon its efforts in the area of sexual harassment or relegate women's studies at Harvard/Radcliffe to the back seat. These are crucial issues and to forget that would be regressing. The efforts which are currently being made must be continued and increased. But with four or five active members only a finite amount of work can be done. With 2 500 undergraduate women, RUS needs at least 25 and hopefully as many as 50 representatives which would allow us not only to continue in those areas in which we are currently working, but also to expand our efforts.

I believe that these goals are realistic and it is what I would dedicate myself to as president of RUS.

Julia Rubin has been a Freshman representative to RUS, as well as its Vice-President. She lives in Dunster House.

Position Paper-Liz Young '85

As candidate for President of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS), I believe that RUS should focus on three main goals for 1983-84. RUS should take a leadership role in creating a visible network of support for undergraduate women at Harvard/Radcliffe. Many student-run resources exist here for women-the Women's Center in Lehman Hall, the Association of Black Radcliffe Women, and the RESPONSE Rape Counseling Center, for example. Yet few undergraduate women are even aware of these small groups. As President of RUS, I would work to coordinate and publicize the resources available to women here.

The regular publication of Seventh Sister, a newspaper focusing on women at Harvard/Radcliffe, would be the first step toward an alliance of women's groups on campus. As a central source of activity on women's activity here, RUS would alert undergraduates to available activity and support relevant to their lives as women students.

In 1983-84, RUS will work actively with other student organizations on campus. I believe that any links RUS can forge with other special interest or political groups on campus will help to widen the forum of student activism here. It is extremely important for a group which represents the interest of women not to exist in a political vacuum.

Finally, I believe RUS should continue to act as mediator between students and administration on important issues like sexual harassment and women's studies. In the last year and a half, RUS leaders have made great progress in publicizing he issue of sexual harassment on campus. The university is now creating a specific grievance policy on the issue. As a visible and respected women's group on campus. RUS must continue to take on difficult but important issues like sexual harassment.

I think women's studies can become the next big administrative and academic issue affecting the quality of women's education bere. Harvard lags far behind schools life Yale and Princeton in developing a comprehensive women's studies program. High enrollment in courses like Hist. Stud. A-22 ("Women in American History") and Gov. 1330 ("The Politics of Women's Liberation") is evidence that students here are interested in women's studies courses. In addition, for the last several years students have applied for a special concentration in women's studies-and all who applied have been turned down. Harvard/Radcliffe men and women should not be denied the chance to learn about women in history and society.

Liz Young has been a Freshman and South House representative to RUS.