Star War

Short Takes

President Reagan's proposal this week to develop antiballistic systems designed to destroy Soviet nuclear missiles in flight is probably not feasible for the near future. Harvard physics and astronomy professors said yesterday.

The weapon would cost too much and require more advanced technology than is available now, the professors said.

Reagan made his proposal in a Wednesday night nationwide address calling on scientists in particular to help in a comprehensive effort to archive our ultimate goal of eliminating the threat posed by strategic nuclear weapons."

"At the present point, it would be desirable as pie-in-the-sky. "Pierce Professor of Technology and Public policy Harvey Brooks said of Reagan's plan.

He added that it either the United States or the Soviet Union seemed to be on the verge of installing a defense against nuclear missiles, the other side might consider a preemptive strike.

While Reagan did not specify any particular defensive plan, proposals in the past have included anti-ballistic missiles, laser equipped satellites, or high-energy particle beam weapons.

Whether Reagan's plan goes ahead or not, Harvard professors apparently will not be involved.

"Anything like that would undoubtedly he classified research," and such research is not allowed at the University, Alistair G N Cameron, professor of Astronomy, said yesterday.