Padan Aram

Short Takes

Seven-year-old campus literary magazine Padan Aram will, for the second year in a row, publish only one issue, cutting back from the traditional quarterly schedule.

The magazine's board decided to pare down in order to stress better quality and to increase its emphasis on short fiction, President Erie-Steven Gutienez '84 said yesterday.

The issue will be published in April.

Last year, for the first time, the review also limited its output to one issue, but Gutienez said that decision was the result of insufficient funds.

Padan Aram received $400 from the Undergraduate Council in the fall, but was denied any further grants from the Council in the spring. The review's board is still awaiting a decision on a grant request from the Harvard Lampoon, and it intends to sell advertisements locally to fund the next issue.

Gutienez said that Padan Aram has a more innovative style than most other publications on campus. He added, "We're no longer interested in Holden Caulfield revisited, we want more imaginative literature."

Elizabeth A. Frost '85, a poetry editor for the review, said that Padan Aram was meant to be an alternative to The Advocate. "We want to take good writing and rid it of any type of pretentions that cling to projects such as these," she added.

Deborah S. Rosenblum, an editor for The Advocate, said that there are major differences between the two publications. She said that though Padan Aram could be innovative it lacks any consistent format, while The Advocate has a very organized structure because it has "a great sense of tradition."