Minority Protest Spills Into Second Day

Students Confront Moses Outside Dean's Office

By Holly A. Idelson

Third World and women's groups yesterday stopped up their protest of the College's refusal to publicize minority events is the official freshman week calendar, holding a press conference that culminated in an emotional meeting with Dean of Freshmen Henry C. Moses.

After meeting for close to an hour at the Science Center, more than 30 students marched to the Freshman Dean's office, chanting and carrying banners.

At the office, protestors stood in the rain for more than an hour talking with Moses, who stood on the building's porch.

Moses--who had been invited to speak at yesterday's meeting--told the students he did not attend because he had already expressed his views to group representatives on Monday. "You know what my answers are," he added.

The dean met with five coalition members Monday while more than 80 students demonstrated loudly outside his office. During that discussion, Moses told the students he would not change current policy and list Third World and women's events in the freshman week calendar.

No discussion

Moses initially refused to repeat his arguments yesterday to the group gathered outside his office, saying "I had a discussion yesterday; this does not appear to be a discussion."

Moses' remarks were frequently cut off by the protestors and several times the dean asked to be allowed to finish his statements.

But he eventually discussed his reasoning for excluding the events from the calendar, which he said publicizes College sponsored events targeted at the entire freshman class.

Moses added that he thought the University has supportive communities for minority students.

No thanks

But Aaron A. Estis '80 drew loud applause when he responded by saying "if so, it's in spite of the College's efforts. Everything Third World students have gotten from this University we forced Harvard to give us."

Speaking of the freshman week events, Estis added. "We need it and you have to include it."

Moses said he supported the groups' efforts to build communities, but he added, "Freshman week is not the right starting place" for those activities.

Coalition members, who voted Monday night to form an official Third World Students Alliance, said yesterday they will continue to fight for University endorsement of minority freshman events.

Organizers said they plan to flood Moses' office with phone calls urging him to publicize the events and added that they hope to arrange a meeting with President Bok.

Three Third World cultural groups invited to perform as part of the official freshman week program have agreed to boycott the College's program and instead join the coalition's student sponsored events, they added.