British Wit

Short Takes

The wit, natire, had abot tilliness of British actor director Jonathan Miller yesterday delighted more than 70 people who heard him discuss his carrer as well as comment on America and the arts.

Miller, who came to Cambridge to direct the season's finale at the American Repertory Theater. "The School for Scandal," appeared as a part of the "Learning From Performers" series.

During the past 24 years, Miller has successfully met the diallenges of acting, directing and writing for the stage in such productions as "King Lear" and "The Goon Show." More recently, the 48 year-old London resident wrote and hosted the highly acclaimed BBC television series. "The Body in Question," which also aired on PBS in 1980.

Miller amused his audience which filled the Dedley House JCR with a stream of bitingly satirical comments. His victions ranged from Harold Painter ("tight-assed writer though he is") to American attempts at serfous television (these ghastly, concerous miniseries") to the Osear ceremonies ("they should be censored, not celebrated").

Miller said that he sever planned on a care or in the arts, but in 1939, as a struggling young inters in London, he was offered the opportunity to write and perform in a comedy revue at the Edinburgh Summer Pestival.

Along with three other young unknowns-- Dudley Moore, Peter Cook, and Alan Bennett--Miller created the now famous "Beyond the pringe," and Miller never returned to the wards.

Reterning to England next month to resume his medical career, Miller said, "I'm fed up with theatre right now. What draws me back to medicine is that it's something I've wanted to do my whole live."

"I do miss the nihilistic frivolity and silliness of Britain,"he added.