In Transition

Farewells

Dr. Howard H. Hiatt announced in early June he would end his controversial 12-year stint as dean of the School of Public Health. Hiatt pioneered the school's effort to broaden its focus beyond traditional research for cures to a policy-oriented examination of the social and economic consequences of diseases. That approach had the blessing of President Bok, but raised the ire of the senior faculty, two-thirds of whom signed a petition in 1978 asking the dean to step down. Hiatt, who will teach at the Med School, said his resignation had nothing to do with the storm, but rather a feeling that a decade was long enough.

The office of Government and Community Affairs lost two top administrators in July. Robin Schmidt, the division's vice president, said he was stepping down to take a new job in California, where his children live, though he refused to be more specific. James B. King, the associate vice president who supervised Harvard's relations with state and local governments went to Northeastern to take on its newly created post of senior vice president of student affairs.

Harvard's leading information technology official, Howard L. Resnikoff, quit in July to help found an artificial intelligence firm. In his two years at the University, the associate vice president for information services and technology oversaw campus efforts to integrate computers into instruction and administration.

Two graduate school professors went to Washington to join the Reagan Administration. In June, Kennedy School of Government lecturer Alvin Alm became the number-two man at the Environmental Protection Agency following a shake-up in the scandal-ridden department. Alm, who also headed the K-School's energy-security program, came to Harvard in 1977 after serving then-President Jimmy Carter's Energy Department. The Law School's leading regulation specialist. Douglas H. Ginsburg, announced in July that he would take a leave to serve as an assistant in the Department of Justice's anti-trust division.

Arnold M. Soloway, chairman of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Alumni Association quit his post in June to protest the appointment of a Palestinian scholar to a research position at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies. Soloway charged that Whalid Khalidi's appointment in the spring of 1982 was dictated by a Saudi businessman's $1 million gift. Harvard officials declined comment.

Moving Up

Randolph Catlin Jr. became head of University Health Services' mental health division, rising from his previous position as chief of clinical services with that department. Catlin, who has been at Harvard since 1965, fills a post vacant since Dr. Paul Walters left in the spring. Catlin has promised to reach out more into the community and seek public opinion on the health services.

Deaths

John V. Lintner, Gund Professor of Economics and Business Administration died in June in an automobile accident in Cambridge at the age of 67. He was widely known in financial and academic communities for his major contribution to the capital-asset pricing model, a method of estimating an investment's future value. Lintner headed the University's joint Ph.D. program in economics and business for 15 years. He also served as a consultant to the Treasury Department under both Democratic and Republican administrations.

Bernice B. Cronkhite '16, former dean of Radcliffe College and subsequently the first dean of the Graduate School died in August in Stillman Infirmary at the age of 90. Recognizing the need for a scholarly community for women graduate students, she helped organize Radcliffe's graduate center, which now bears her name.

Frederick Salo, 23 years the owner of Keezer's New and Used Clothing Store, died in July of a heart attack. Salo, who retired three years ago worked at the store since immigrating from Germany in 1938 and became friends with a large corps of Harvard students, alumni, and administrators who regularly patronized the offbeat Huron Ave. establishment.

Julio E. Devalle '86 died from pulmonary insufficiency that developed during his treatment for cancer. The Miami native was described by friends as strongly committed to his schoolwork and to Catholicism. As an undergraduate, Devalle was active in Harvard's Catholic Student Center.

John Harnice '84 died in August after diving from a bridge near his Kentucky home, a feat commonly attempted in the area. The 21-year-old Winthrop House resident spent much of his time with the varsity basketball team.