Harriers Continue Winning Ways

In a tri-meet held yesterday at Van Cortlandt Park, in the Bronx, NY the Harvard men's cross country team swept both Columbia and Penn harriers by perfect scores of 15 50, with nine Crimson runners crossing the finish line before any opponents

Led by first place finisher Paul Gompers, Harvard proved it will be a force in the Ivies this year, and raised its record to 3-0. The hilly course posed little problem for the Crimson, which has been training on a ski slope and was well prepared for the meet Optimal conditions--cool weather and a dry course helped runners to excellent times

Gompers, in 24 46, was followed by Andy Gerkin and Bruce Weber in 25 51 Behind them were Jim MacDonald, Felix Rippy, Paul McNulty and Peter Jellie, who all finished in 25 51 The Harvard sweep was completed by Paul Kent and John Duffy. The harriers next meet is against Brown in Boston on Friday with a big meet at Cornell next week

Also at Van Conlandt the women's cross country team extended Coach D. Elston Cochrane-Fikes unbeaten string at Harvard to seven with victories over Rutgers, St John's and Georgetown Cochrane-Fikes has not lost an intercollegiate meet since he took over the women harriers last year

Junior Kate Wiley was the leading Crimson runner, finished second overall Feammate Kathleen Good, also a junior, finished third