K-House Dining Supervisor Dies Of Heart Attack

Kirland House dining hall supervisor Richard J. Higgins died early Wednesday morning of an apparent heart attack at his home in Somerville. He was 58 years old.

Higgins had worked at Harvard dining halls for more than 30 years, and in 1979 came to Kirkland form the Leverett House Kitchen, where he had been a general cook.

Director of Food Services Frank J. Weissbecker called Higgins "a fine member of the Food Services Department."

Kirkland House Committee Chairman Bruce W. McNamer '85 said news of the death was a shock. He described Higgins as a good man, and real gentleman. He was always willing to help in any way he could. McNamer added that "he's going to be a hard man to replace."

Dining Hall manager Richard J. Montville said that Higgins "certainly loved what he was doing. He's definitely going to be missed." Food Services has not yet decided what changes it will make in the dining hall, Weissbecker said.

Higgins' job as unit supervisor was to ensure that the dining hall ran smoothly, Montville said. His jobs included ordering supplies and organizing special meals such as the Sophomore Dinner.