Carrillo's Knee Injury Ends Career

Former All-American Has Arthroscopic Surgery After Second Mishap

Just a little over a year after she underwent similar surgery on her right knee. Harvard women's soccer Co-Captain Alicia Carrillo yesterday underwent arthroscopic surgery on her left knee.

The routine surgical procedure marked the end of a stellar but injury plagued career for Carrillo, who suffered the injury Wednesday whole making her first starting appearance since last year's season ending accident.

In several weeks, Carrillo will begin the same rehabilitation she underwent 13 months ago after injurying her right knee in a midfield collision in the season-opening game.

That accident cost Carrillo the 1983 season.

The latest mishap will sideline the Kirkland House senior and Wellesley native for the remainder of 1984.

But this time, it means the end of her career.

For even it Carrillo--who during her freshman and sophomore years became one of Harvard's finest women's soccer players ever were to recover fully by next season, she would have used up her four years of eligibility.

Ironically, it was her desire to return to the starting lineup in her final year that ended Carrillo's career.

Just moments before Wednesday's showdown with Keene State, Carrillo--who had seen spot duty in the squad's first five games of the year--approached Harvard Coach Bob Scalier and told him she was ready to start.

Wearing a large brace on her right knee, the former All-American got her starting wish. But 10 minutes into the game, Carrillo went down writhing in pain after a wild kick struck her in the left knee.

She was then carried off on a stretcher and kept under observation before yesterday's successful surgery.

As a freshman, Carrillo burst onto the scene with an outstanding year that earned her first-team. All-Ivy and All-New England honors.

She scored 11 goals and had six assists, including two crucial goals in the Ivy League championship game, which Harvard won, 4-3, in double overtime. The booters went on to place fifth in the AIAW tournament.

As a sophomore, Carrillo netted seven goals and had four assists and was a second-team All-American selection.

Once again she helped the booters advance to the quarter finals of the national tournament.