Women's Swimming

Sports Wrap

Amidst several outstanding individual performances, the Harvard women's swim team fell to a far better Princeton squad, 91-49, Saturday at Blodgett Pool.

The resounding defeat dropped the Crimson's slate to a mediocre 3-3. Harvard never led in the important Ivy showdown, which came just three days after the squawomen took second place in the Greater Boston Championships.

The highlight of the day for the Crimson came when sophomore Shannon Byrd won the three-meter diving event with an NCAA qualifying score of 263.68. The Miami, Fla. native also placed third in the one-meter diving competition.

Junior Jennifer Goldberg reversed Byrd's efforts, winning that one-meter diving event with a score of 250.28 and placing third in the three-meter struggle.

While Byrd was qualifying for the NCAAs, teammate Susan Harris was qualifying for the Eastern championships in the 200-yd. freestyle, as were Tina Diekmann in the 400-yd. individual medley and Anne Wilson in the 200-yd. breaststroke, 200-yd. butterfly and the 400-yd. individual medley.

In other strong Harvard performances Saturday, senior Captain Debbie Zimic won the 400-yd. individual medley and placed second in the 200-yd. fly.

Freshmen Elaine Sang and Marie Ciepiela rounded out the Crimson's bright sports in an otherwise bleak day. Sang won the 100-yd. backstroke and placed third in the 100-yd. fly. Ciepiela, meanwhile, swam to a season best in the 1000-yd. freestyle.