Tigers Take Their Revenge, Plaster Icewomen

Fire Third Period Goals Sink Harvard, 10-5

By Nick Wurf

If you ever grab a tiger by the tail, don't let go. Its revenge will be swift and certain.

Last night at Bright Center, the Harvard women's hockey team knotted Princeton at 4-4 after two periods, but the Tigers escaped the Crimson's grip in the final stanza and blitzed their way to six scores en-route to a 10-5 triumph.

The victory gave the Tigers a 6-0 Ivy mark and dropped the Crimson's Ivy slate to 2-3-1, putting Harvard all but out of the Ivy race. The Tigers appear headed for their third straight league title.

It certainly appeared that way from game's start last night. Using their superior skating skills, the Tigers cruised to three quick goals. At the other end, however, Kelly Landry did manage to convert Harvard's only shot of the period into a goal to keep the contest within reach.

Twenty seconds into period two, Laura Halldorson took a beautiful feed from Patricia Kazmaier in the slot and beat Crimson net-minder Cheryl Tate to put her team up by three.

Harvard wouldn't roll over and play dead that early though. Five and a half minutes later, center Genie Simmons found Katrinka Leschey in the middle, Leschey, who had not scored until February, fired the puck high and hard, and past Tiger netminder Simone Feinhandler for her fourth goal of the month--and season.

Six minutes later, and nine seconds into a two-man advantage, Kathy Carroll jammed home the rebound of a Kelly Landry shot to pull the icewomen within one of the vaunted Ivy League champions.

A minute later and with Halldorson still in the sin bin, the Crimson power play struck again. Sue Newell fired from the point and after a Carroll try, Diane Hurley stuffed the rebound in past Feinhandler, who at that point had let in four of the six Harvard shorts on net.

Meanwhile in the Harvard net, Cheryl Tate was riding high, denying the Tigers repeatedly. But even the Crimson's All-Ivy net-minder wasn't enough to stop the fired-up Tigers in the third period.

Three-and-a-half minutes into the final stanza, while skating out a Deb Taft tripping call, Carroll dropped a blind pass at the Harvard blue line. Forechecking Tiger Suzanne McGilvray scooped up the rolling biscuit, charged in and beat Tate for a Princeton score and what would prove to be the game.

After another Tiger tally, this one shorthanded, Newell got the final Harvard score at 8:33. After a Princeton defenseman dropped to her knees to block a Kathy Carroll shot the puck scooted back out to Newell, who beat Feinhandler from 35-ft.

Four Tiger goals in the next seven minutes put to rest any hopes for a Harvard comeback. And it gave the Tigers their revenge.

THE NOTEBOOK: Kathy Carroll's goal and two assists upped her team-leading point total to 36, one short of Diane Hurley's record.

P, Gina Petrangelo (Suzanne McGilvray) 12; P. Syrena Carborn 7:36; H. Kelly Landry 9:34; P. Kathjy O'Dell (Laura Halldorson) 12:09; P. Halldorson (Patricia Kazmaler, Carlbom) 20; H. Katrinka Leschey (Genie Simmons) 5:50; H. Kathy Carroll (Landry) 11:32; H. Diane Hurley (Carroll, Sue, Nowell) 12:38; P. McGilvray 3:33; P. O'Dell (Kazmaler) 5:05; H. Newell (Carroll) 8:33; P. O'Dell (Karmaler) 5:05; H. Newell (Carroll) 8:33; P. Linney Browning (Carlborn, Kazmaier) 10:53; P. McGilvray (Carborn. Amanda Cluett) 11:50; P. Cynthia Griffin (O'Dell, Halldorson) 14:10; P. Hilderson (O'Dell) 15:16.

Saves, P. Simone Feinhandler, 0-2-3--5; H. Cheryl Tate, 14-11-10--35.

Att--135. At Bright Center Princeton  3  1  6--10 Harvard  1  3  1--5