Icewomen Pluck and Stuff Cardinals, 14-0; Crimson Improves Overall Record to 11-7-1

By Nick Wurf

Diane Harley passed for 312 yards and a touchdown and Kathy Carroll gained 134 yards on 19 carries and scored the other Crimson took touchdown to pace the Harvard women's hockey team to a 14-0 shutout at Wesleyan last night.

The net women still scared from a 12 goal thrashing at the hands of Northeastern Friday in the Beanpot finals showed the Cardinals a Crimson shade of fireworks. And Wesleyan might just as well have been playing another sport.

Actually Harvard Coach John Dooley spared his hosts even more embarrassment by pulling his starters early and relying on his second and third units for most of the debacle.

Still it was a seven goal first period that seemed to take the wind out of the Cardinals sails. Things haven't been going too well this season for Wesleyan women's hockey a 0-12 record merely highlight the frustration of a campaign that has seen the Cardinals out scored 104 to 12.

And Wesleyan hit the lowest note yet in the Middle town Blues at the hands of Harvard hungry and menacing after being embarrassed by the Huskies. The Crimson fresh from a 4-1 victory over Yale on Saturday at Bright was in no mood to save the Cardinals from their own ineptitude and vented a little of their Beanpot frustration at the expense of the rather helpless and hopeless hosts.

Dooley was so quick to yank his starters that no individual records were set although the squad's number one and two scorers Kathy Carroll and Drane Hurley each garnered a goal and four assists Senior defenseman Suzanne Tanner noticed her first ever varsity goal on an assist from sophomore Mary Boland who had two periods earlier also earned her first tally to cap the seven goal opening stanza.

Megan Berthold started the scoring at 4-53 scoring off a Carroll feed to give a taste of things to come. Then it was Kelly landry Hurley, Carroll, Landry again Mara Mac Taggart, and Boland Forty eight seconds still remained in period number one.

For the first 9:48 of the middle 18 minutes the Crimson did not score and the Cardinals played their most inspired hockey of the contest Wesleyan got three of its five shots during this stretch, but failed to beat Tracy Kimmel, who had relieved Crimson number one netminder Cheryl Tate after Tate stopped a single shot in the first period.

The Cardinals were really just dumping the puck in on a line change and it happened to roll on net, but this year they'll take any kind of shot they can get.

Second and third period scorers for the Crimson Deb Tatt, Sue Newell, Newell once more. Katrinks Leschey, Chris Dooley, Ginie Simmons and finally Tanner at 16-42 of the final period.

Harvard in fact had only 500 yards of total offense while Wesleyan could manage only 12 yards on the ground and six in the air.

THE NOTEBOOK The Crimson outshot Wesleyan 52-5. The icewomen upped their overall record to 11-7-1... They square off against Cornell in Ithaca Friday night. At Wesleyan Harvard  7  4  3-14 Wesleyan Tab>0  0  0-0

H. Megan Berthold (Kathy Carroll) 4:53, H. Kelly Landry (Carroll) 8:56, H.Diane Hurley (Landry, Carroll) 9:06, H. Carroll (Hurley) 12:13, H. Landry (Hurley, Berthold) 13:45, H. Mara Mac Taggart (Pam D. Rubio, Sue Newell) 16:45, H. Mary Boland (Hurley Carroll) 17:12, H. Deb Taft (Katnnka Leschey) 9:48, H. Newell (Hurley) 11:37, H. Newell (Leachey) 16:30, H. Leachey (Danny Starr, Genie Simmons) 17:05, H. Christine Dooley (Dr. Rubio) 8:25, H. Simmons (Starr) 14:25, H. Suzanne Tanner (Boland) 16:42.

Saves H. Cheryl Tate 1-1, Tracy Kimmel 3-1-4, W. Michelle Clery 14-11-25, Jil Carlson 13-13 Att Voluntary.