Science Center Cafe Will Soon Accomodate Late-Night Eaters

By M. ELISABETH Bentij

Late night studying in Cabot Library may become a pleasure when the Science Center's Greenhouse Cafe extends it evening hours until 11:30 p.m.

Starting in two weeks, the Cafe will break its current 9:00 p.m. curfew, serving cold sandwiches, hamburgers, cake, and chocolate chip cookies to computer buffs and Cabot dwellers three nights a week, according to Marian P. Burns, manager of the Cafe.

Rebecca A. Rozen '86, chairman of the Undergraduate Council Student Services Committee, originally conceived of the idea.

"Students get hungry at night while studying in the Science Center and it's frustrating to try to get candy out of broken vending machines," she said.

Rozen and Mitchell S. Elkind '87, another representative to the Student Services Committee, approached cafe manager, Marian P. Burns, with the proposal Burns was enthusiastic about the idea, saying. "Store 24 must seem miles away to the tired, hungry student."

But Robert B. Trager, president of the Greenhouse Cale expressed reservations about the plan, citing possible difficulties in finding help for the extra hours, and his obligation to the students, who have previously made arrangements in use the Greenhouse area for club purposes. But Rozen and Elkind volunteered to work at the cafe during the new hours until Trager could find permanent help.

The Bridge and Chess and "Go" clubs use the Greenhouse area at night on a regular basis. The Chess club refused to allow the Greenhouse to extend its hours; on Tuesday, the club's designated evening. "Extra people create noise and would disrupt out weekly tournaments," said Jonathan S. Yedida '85, president of the club.

The extended hours will be on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, and if business is good, the cafe may be open on Sundays next fall, according to Avery Tung '83, a representative of the Student Services Committee.

The Greenhouse Cafe has occupied a corner of the Science Center since the building was constructed in 1973.

Elkind said that the Undergraduate Council is optimistic about permanent extended hours, adding, "have you ever had their chocolate chip cookies?"