In Defense of Detroit

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Detroit has the image it does precisely because of cheap shots found in articles such as Andy Doctoroff's "Joy in Motown" (9/20). The author labels residents of the metropolitan area "gruff, gritty and wholly without class." As a member of that community, I am insulted that Doctoroff chose those words to describe a socially, culturally and economically diverse population.

The author seems to suggest that Detroiters have only their sports teams (i.e. the Detroit Tigers) to enjoy. Having grown up in the City and in a town two miles north, I can attest to the fact that Detroiters take pride in their teams, themselves and their city--the same city that boasts a Grand Prix, the Montreux/Detroit Jazz Festival, Greektown, the Institute of Arts, hydroplane boat races, Ethnic Festivals, a world class symphony, first class restaurants, the Michigan Opera, two zoos, Canada (across the Detroit River) and an industry which is the backbone of the nation's economy Construction has been increasing following Detroit's AAA bond rating and has resulted in the development of high rise riverfront apartments, a downtown office/shopping/ apartment/hotel complex, a light rail transit system, and other projects. And yes, Detroiters can also be proud of their Tiger's success. Yet despite all of this, Doctoroff unbelievably writes that Detroit "gives its citizens almost nothing in which they can take pride."

Doctoroff is also factually incorrect on several points. The Renaissance Center did not go bankrupt as was reported; it was sold. There are several movie theaters in Detroit contrary to Doctoroff's statements, and the Fox theater is currently housing a local theater group, not showing triple-X-rated films as the author incorrectly assumed. These misrepresentations placed before the general public are examples of irresponsible journalism at best.

Of course, it would be foolish to suggest that Detroit is without problems. The City is indeed experiencing many of the same problems which plague other major cities. At the same time, however, Detroit can be a wonderful city--one in which everyone can take pride, even when the Tigers are not winning. Peter D. Cook '85