Top Cambridge Administrator Awarded Five-Year Contract

By Thomas J. Winslow

In an effort to provide greater job security for the city's top administrator, the Cambridge City Council voted to award the first contract to a city manager since the city adopted the city manager form of government back in 1941.

By an eight to one tally, the City Council voted in a special meeting December 20 to award Robert W. Healy a $70,000-a-year contract through 1990, effective the first of the year.

Healy has worked for the past three-and-a-half years as city manager without a contract and always at the risk of falling victim to political clashes between the the liberal and conservative factions which evenly divide the city council.

City Councilor David E. Sullivan stood alone in opposing the new deal, which he claimed would set "a dangerous precedent" by insulating the position from voter influence.

Although none of the councillors questioned Healy's record of achievement, Sullivan questioned a provision in the new contract which would allow the city manager to collect a $70,000 salary and benefits for the duration of his term--even if the city council dismissed him before the pact runs out.

"That could easily cost the city over $200,000 as well as remove the implicit threat of termination." Sullivan cautioned, saying that his stand reflected no animosity toward Healy.

Some city councilors have argued that the city should award Healy a contract in order to give hime better job security and dissuade him from taking job offers from other cities. Healy has reportedly received job offers from several cities but has turned them down.

A resident of Lowell, Healy is credited with guiding the city through the darkest days of Proposition 2 1.2, the 1980 tax-cutting measure, when budget cutbacks and reduced services crippled many Massachusetts municipalities. Last May, Healy submitted the first fiscal plan to comply with the stringent limitations on the city budget since voters approved the tax reduction four years ago.