Who Is Rael Vodicka?

The Rael Vodicka Memorial Washingon Area Girls Soccer Tournament was named in honor of the first president--and founder--of the WAGS League.

Two hundred and twenty-seven teams from elementary schools to colleges participated in this, the tournament's 11th year.

Harvard, as one of the 16 college teams, was placed arbitrarily into one of four divisions for the preliminary round of play.

Each squad played three contests--one against each of the other teams in its division--to determine a division winner to advance to Sunday evening's semifinals.

Division A winner Boston College (which upset first-ranked George Mason) defeated Division B winner N.C. State, 2-1, in the semis; Radford (Division C) edged Texas (Division D), 3-1, in the other game.

Radford took the tourney crown with a 2-1 triumph in Monday's final.

In the younger age divisions, squads were placed in categories by year of birth--ranging from 1975ers to "Under-19s". Although about half of these teams hailed from the Washington area, others travelled from as far away as Canada and Colorado to compete.