Racquetwomen Rip Third-Ranked Trinity

Boyum Evenges Weekend Loss to Pearce in Sweep

An estimated crowd of 60 was on hand yesterday at Hemenway Gym to watch as Harvard's top-ranked women's squash team (now 3-0) squashed third-ranked Trinity, 9-0.

Co-Captains Diana Edge and Ingrid Boyum led the racquetwomen to their third straight win. Edge beat Trinity's Sophie Porter, 3-0, for the second time in two days.

Sunday at a Princeton invitational tournament, Trinity's Eli Pearce knocked off Boyum, 3-1. Yesterday, Boyum got her revenge, taking Pearce, 3-2.

The rest of the racquetwomen shut out the visitors 3-0, except for Marti Winnick, who gave up a game to Nan Campbell at number three.

Trinity seemed to be close in the matches, but Harvard stopped all of the visitors' challenges as the Crimson won match after match.

"It was a very big victory for us," Lucy Miller said. "They are one of our toughest competitors along with Princeton and Yale.

"This was our first real challenge and we met it."

"It was a really good win and everyone played well; the win shows how hard everyone has worked this fall and it's a credit to our co-captains," Harvard Coach Priscilla Choate said. "Our toughest competition is still ahead of us, but its a good beginning."

The big victory over Trinity also insures that Harvard will hold on to its number one ranking until the new year.

The racquetwomen are off until Feb. 1, when they will take on Penn. The Crimson will also be taking a three-game winning streak, when it hosts the Quakers--the way they are playing, the streak will probably go on to four.