Honors Seniors Start to Summa-Up College

By Eugenia Balodimas

While the concept of thesis writing makes lots of seniors cringe, Deborah C. Cohen's thesis makes her laugh. She's doing her History of Science thesis on laughter.

According to Cohen '86, writing about ribaldry "can make you happy and excited about writing a thesis."

While seniors write theses for many reasons--including amusement--one fact remains true from Afro-American Studies to VES: motivation and interest must accompany the lengthy task. Otherwise, a senior wonders forever why he spent his final Saturday nights of college in front of the word processor or in the library.

Social Studies concentrator John E. Klaaren '86, whose topic concerns the Sanctuary Movement for Central American refugees, says, "my thesis isn't putting a direction in my life, like it is for other seniors. It's not an absolute expression of my being."

Klaaren adds, "It's a long paper. I like to think of it as an assignment between a paper and a philosophical statement."

Jonathan A. Kaplan 86's Government thesis on social security reform puts some direction in his life, however. "It's a subject I'd like to work on in the future."

Kaplan says, "the Gov department told us last year that the three reasons not to write a thesis are to get into law school, to graduate with honors, and to please our parents."

But, he adds, "these are the three reasons I'm writing a thesis, but I don't mind it."

History and Literature concentrator Mary D. Garrison '86 is writing her thesis on an extension of the subject she wants to pursue in graduate school--the Middle Ages. This year, her work focuses on the social implications of changing attitudes toward beards in the 12th century.

"My thesis is a chance to learn a lot about a topic I'm interested in and to test out my own ideas," says Garrison. "My aim is to show how something that is a basic part of life--beards--can also be related to the structure of society."

Garrison adds, "At first I was worried that other people wouldn't take my topic seriously. I was getting desperate in my search for a subject and I got the idea when I reread an article on 11th and 12th century fashion changes. A few days later, I was inspired to actually write about beards after I heard a lecture by a Princeton historian."

Brigitte M. Duffy '86 sees her thesis--a History and Literature opus on Edith Wharton--as a way to accomplish something substantial. She asserts that "it's nice to know that you've worked on one concrete piece of writing and finished it."

Duffy's roommate, Elizabeth Wardenburg '86, agrees with Duffy that her thesis--on the treatment of Polio 1935-1950--offers her "a sense of real satisfaction and accomplishment."

C. Chandler Bryan, who is writing his Social Studies thesis on the revitalization of Lowell, MA., views his work as "his first chance to take advantage of what Harvard is good at and good for--thesis research."

Some students hope to get fame from writing their theses.

English major Fori C. Daniel '86, is writing a novel for her creative thesis. She wants to "come up with a possibly publishable piece of fiction."

Science concentrators have the same rationales for writing theses as their humanities-oriented classmates. However, major differences in research methods and results separate the two types of endeavor: the science concentrator often does experimental lab research instead of working with stacks of musty library books and boxes of index cards.

For science concentrators, a thesis doesn't always necessarily imply results.

"You try to ask a question, and the experiment may not answer the question and then you're in trouble," says Biology concentrator Grace H. Jeon '86.

Biochemistry concentrator Daniel P. Felsenfeld '86 says that the hardest part of his thesis is "getting certain mammalian cells to grow outside the body." Felsenfeld studies a protein called Na pump.

"I've applied this technique several times and it has finally worked," he adds.

Felsenfeld is so devoted to his work that "no matter what happens, I'm going to take a year off after graduation to finish the experiment."

Like Felsfenfeld, Biochemistry concentrator James F. Amatruda '86 "loves what he's studying" and says he "isn't intimidated" if he doesn't get results.

"I wouldn't put up with the frustration of experiment failure if I didn't like what I was doing," says Amatruda, who studies receptors.

In fact, Felsenfeld considers science theses more immediately conclusive, saying "humanities people might go to the library and find no sources on their topic. Science concentrators will, get lab experience no matter what."

Felsenfeld concludes, though, that "once the books are found, they won't die. Our cells may die."

Both Felsenfeld and Amatruda agree that it is comforting to belong to a department that does not necessarily equate success with a senior thesis.

Although writers agree on some of the benefits of their work, they also describe the anxiety that theses create.

"I feel in many ways that I haven't given my thesis as much time as I should, and this makes me anxious," says Jeon.

Bryan says, "It's something that is so far away, and it's easy to put off."

"The pressure gets more intense after Christmas break," adds Kaplan. "Then you're faced with a deathly winter and 100 pages to write."

But, as Cohen put it, "The way you learn to laugh at life, that's the way to learn to laugh at vour thesis."